Monday, September 18, 2017

Weekend Adventures

Friday evening we headed down to Kuta to celebrate Georgia's birthday the only way we knew how: by going to Sky Garden. After a three hour car ride, it took about another hour to find our airbnb, which turned out to be in the center of a labyrinth,  but the party went on (literally). 

Saturday was my first beach day! I was so excited to finally surf and was able to rent a surf board for $6.. not bad. The locals watched me struggle as I regained my footing after a year of being landlocked, but they kindly offered some advice. Rad! The sun was so hot that it was hard to lay out for more than 10 minutes without feeling lightheaded, so I spent most of my time in the water before deciding to call it a day.
After a day full of great surf and obsessive sweating, Caro and I decided to ditch the airbnb and head up north to Canggu. This was probably the best decision we have made all trip! Canggu was a staggering contrast to Kuta (which is known for its club scene). Canggu was beautiful, filled with cute shops, vegan restaurants, and flowing rice paddies. We spent Saturday morning at the beach, (where unfortunately the waves were pretty flat) before meeting up with Caro's friend from home and heading to our 3rd stop: Uluwatu. 
This road looks amazing until you are walking on it at 8pm with no streetlights and fast traffic
Rice paddies on rice paddies
When I heard that we would be driving an hour and a half south just to go to a restaurant (Single Fin), I was more than skeptical, however when we arrived just in time for sunset, it was definitely justified. Single Fin is a well known restaurant/party spot in Uluwatu, located just on the edge of a cliff facing the ocean where you can watch surfers surf until an ungodly hour. There was live music, great food, and overpriced drinks. Update: still no @JayAlverez sighting, but we met some of his friends!
This morning, after a wonderfully tasty (and cheap!) breakfast, we went back to Ubud, but I'm already planning my next trip to Canggu!
This was our favorite restaurant in Canggu. We went 3 times in 2 days!