Thursday, August 20, 2015

Vienna, Austria

Back in June, while I was visiting Ella in Colorado, her mom told me that the best experience she ever had was biking along the river in Vienna. I am happy to say that this has become one of my fondest memories as well. After checking into our most comfortable hotel to date (yes there was AC) and admiring the lavish stores surrounding the city (my mom pushed my past longchamp, not letting me get any ideas), my dad and I rented bikes from the public bike exchange and made our way towards the river. I followed him through the narrow streets, weaving through pedestrians and anticipating the sight of the river that I had heard so much about. While carrying the bike down the stairs proved to be quite the challenge for a weakling like me, the sight was amazing.


Street art lined the walls for miles and the trail was barren except for my dad and me. We spent hours biking, stopping for pictures, and feeling the breeze off the water. While I was sad to turn around and make my way back to the hotel, the lull in my mood was brief as we picked up my sister and made our way to Prater, the oldest amusement park in Vienna. We spent the night laughing, riding rollercoasters, and stuffing our faces with cotton candy (my fav) and sausages.


We ended our stay in Vienna with a visit to  Schönbrunn Palace, at the request of my grandpop. While the wait for the tour was too long (no complaints here..) we had the change to walk around the grounds and tour the garden.. pretty amazing if you ask me.