Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Middle(bury) of Nowhere

Got up at an ungodly hour, hopped on a subway to go across the city, waited in line for a bus, then continued to ride that bus for 10 hours. There's only one person who I'd go through all that trouble for: Julia. 

When the bus rolled up to Middlebury, I ran out and (literally) right into Julia's arms to give her the biggest hug. It had been 3 months since I had seen her, which wasn't our longest stretch at all, but it was still too long. After my long day of traveling, we went out for Thai (our fav) with a few of Julia's close friends and then spent the night hanging out in the dorms. It was so exciting to meet Julia's friends after hearing about them over the phone for so long. As most of her friends are "Febs" (february admission), I got to hear all about the adventurous ways they spent their first semester instead of studying at school. Answers ranged from studying in London to backpacking around Peru: Julia definitely found her people. 


 Saturday, we woke up and headed to the dining hall for some breakfast. We made a plan for the day, which consisted of walking around all the cute shops in town, getting lunch at the Coop, seeing a movie, and going to the Børns concert. While we ate lunch (green smoothies and dried fruit) we planned out our hike for the next day. We saw Whiskey Tango Foxtrot at the theaters, equipped with cute little couches. 




Walking outside of Julia's dorm at night reminded me why I didn't go north for college; no idea how my little Atlanta friend could handle it when I just about died every time my skin touched the air. We sprinted across campus to the concert in fleeces, only to find out once we got there that there was a coat check. It was funny being at a concert at a school that had 2500 people, because no matter where you stood it felt like you had the best seat in the house. Me and Jules danced away to Electric Love and 10,000 Emerald Pools (which she sang for literally the whole weekend) and finished off the night watching How I Met Your Mother with Ian and Minhaj.



Sunday we went on a nice little hike (Julia preferred to call it a "walk" because of my knees) around the town and I finally got to meet Christian. Score.



Monday morning I got up bright and early to catch another long bus back to Philly.
Bye Jules, Bye Midd.