Thursday, August 6, 2015

Paying Homeage

The day had come to make the infamous trek to one of the largest and most feared concentration camps: Auschwitz. 
From the moment that I first walked through the gates, the same gates that hundreds of thousands entered before me, I caught goosebumps that I was unable to shake for the rest of my time there. We took a guided tour through the grounds and the buildings, feeling and seeing the horrors of concentration camp life.

I walked through countless hallways lined with photos of the deceased, stepped foot in their rooms, and saw piles upon piles of shaved hair and abandoned shoes. Just the thought sends a shiver down my spine.
While the experience was by no means an "enjoyable" one, it was both educational and valuable, as I learned far more about the sufferings of its inhabitants than I ever could have by reading novels and textbooks.