Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Homeland!!

A long, winding, 6 hour car ride later.. we finally made it to Cracow, Poland. My dad, being of Polish decent himself, was probably the most excited about arriving in the land where 'Wisniewski' was far more common than 'Smith' or 'Jones'. Shortly after dropping our bags off, we headed to the square for some drinks. 
Feeling slightly ill again, I skipped out on the first tour, taking some time to myself and exploring the historic city on my own.
The next day, I sucked it up and hopped on the tour bus, which took us around the Jewish Ghettos and to the Schindler factory. I was able to learn a lot about the Jewish living conditions and way of life during the Holocaust and see first hand some of the places that they resided. At the Schindler factory, we learned many details about the life of Oskar Schindler and how he used his factory to help out the Jews. 
Poland was both beautiful and historic, and played a large role during the Holocaust. I am happy to say that I have now visited my homeland... I love you Poland!